KULU safaris logotype
FAQ Print

1. Help on Russian visas and air tickets to Magadan.

To get Russian visa you need a letter of invitation that we send to you after you decided to go on hunt with KULU Safaris. We usually advise our clients to contact CTTDestinations agency in WA to get help with applying and getting visas at the Russian Consulate and with booking air tickets to Magadan, Russia. They will be glad to help you with filling in the forms of application, and will let you know what documents they need from you to make you a Russian visa. They will bring your documents to the Russian Consulate for you and after your visa is ready – they will send it to your address.
Of course, you can use services of your own travel agent to get Russia visa and tickets to Russia.

2. What rifle caliber would you suggest?

For snow sheep we would recommend caliber .270, .300, or .308, not any bigger.
For brown bear - caliber .300 Mag. and up to .375 is fine. We consider .416 to be too big a gun for bear, but still possible to use.
We suggest that you register your rifle at the US Customs before your trip.

3. How many rounds of ammunition would you suggest to take along?

We suggest 40 rounds.

4. Do we fly to the base camp after Customs or do we stay a night in Magadan before going hunting?

Usually after arriving to Magadan airport our hunters go directly to the hunting camp by helicopter. But in the event of non-flying weather, hunters are forced to stay at a Magadan hotel till it clears up.
When the hunt is over our clients normally stay one night at the hotel before their departure home.

5. Russian regulations on rifles, ammo, knives, GPS, radios etc. to be brought into Russia.

After we have the information on your rifle (serial number, manufacturer, caliber, model), your scope (manufacturer, serial number) and a quantity of ammunition (40 recommended) we’ll apply for the rifle permit for you. Representatives of KULU Safaris will have this rifle permit on hands when meeting you at Customs. If you wish to take your hunting knife (knives) with you – please let us know and we will include the knife into the rifle permit.
Unfortunately it is practically impossible to make permits for foreigners to bring GPS or walki-talki or any other portable radios into Russia. However a lot of our customers bring GPS and satelite phones without declaring them. This is by no means stands for advice, but is simply a statement of fact.

6. Do the hunters sleep in tents?

Mostly –yes. In the base camp you will spend nights in two- or three-man wall tents that are quite comfortable and have wooden floors and wooden beds with bed-clothes, stove, portable lamp. While hunting snow sheep in spike camps our hunters usually stay in light weight tents. During brown bear hunts they and their guides stay at night in hunting cabins, sometimes tents. Visit our photo album to see pictures of our base and spike camps.

7. Do I need to bring my sleeping bag and a pad?

Yes, please take your sleeping bag and pad. It should be rated to zero degrees (in June and August you can use less warm sleeping bags). Your sleeping bag should be light weight enough so you can use it in spike camps. But in order to save space in your luggage you can buy sleeping bag in Magadan (about $150). Please take time studying our gear list for spring and fall hunts for more details.

8. What size of a backpack do I need?

There is no need to bring a hard frame backpack. A day backpack will do just fine.

9. The gear list suggests waders with pads; are these to be used when hunting or fishing?

We always recommend our hunters to bring waders (full leg size) that are comfortable for walking. During the hunt hunters often need to cross rivers and creeks, walk in dump places. Waders are also very useful when hunter walk in a rainy weather. After rain bushes will be wet and without waders your legs will be wet too. We really recommend our hunters to bring waders not only for fishing but also for walking during the hunt. Please try your waders beforehand and make sure they are comfortable to walk in.

10. Will you send the firearm permit before I fly to Russia?

No, we will have your gun permit when we meet you at Customs

11. Is there any fishing available when I get my trophy?

Yes, it is a wonderful fishing (free of charge) for many species of fish (dolly varden charr, yellowmouth charr, white-spotted charr, several species of salmon). Please take your favourite fishing gear if you are going to fish. Note: fishing is not available in some of our camps.

12. Do I have to bring my spotting scope?

We have several spotting scopes. However, it would be a good idea to bring your own as well if you're coming on a sheep hunt. If you wish, you can bring rangefinders.

13. How many days will I hunt and what is an itinerary of the hunt?

Usually the hunter flies to the base camp the same day as he (she) arrives to Magadan and comes back to Magadan the day before his (her) departure. It makes 11 days of actual hunting days, 2 days for transportation to and from the base camp and one night and a half a day in the city of Magadan. While in the city, our hunters have an opportunity to see highlights of Magadan or go shopping.

14. Can we take hides, skulls and horns with us? Will you provide CITES and all other necessary export documents for the trophy?

Yes, we practice that our hunters take their trophies back with them. To ensure this KULU Safaris prepares all the necessary export documentation. We provide CITES (required only to export brown bears) and veterinary certificates for our hunters. Our guides take care of the trophies in the hunting camp. Trophy care is included in the price. Please bring duffle bags, burlap sacks and big plastic bags to pack your trophies. But lately veterinarion procedures take more time (changes in Federal laws), so now we don't guarantee that you would take your trophy with your luggage. If not, the trophy will be shipped to you after the hunt. Shipping cost is the hunter's responsibility.

15. What kind of physical shape do I need to be in? How many miles a day will we be walking?

You should be in a comparatively good physical shape. On a snow sheep hunt or bear hunt in the fall you should be able to walk 5-7 miles a day. During the snowmachine hunt you should be able to ride a snowmachine or be transported in a sledge during a day.

16. Is Magadan on the Kamchatka peninsula? Is Magadan bears’ size the same as Kamchatka’s bears?

Magadan is situated on the mainland , but it is comparatively not far from Kamchatka. That’s why we have a very similar nature and our bears are of the same specie as on Kamchatka peninsula. As far as we know, the size of bears is equal on Kamchatka and in the Magadan region.

17. Are bears on an inland hunt and a coastal hunt any different?

Absolutely NO. They are all the same bears everywhere, no matter what part of the region you hunt in. In fact, we have the same type of bear they have in Kamchatka. Both spring bear hunts are equal in terms of bear hide quality. The bear skin remains good till late June.

18. If there are no sheep of good size in one spike camp – will I be relocated to another spike camp with no additional cost?

While on snow sheep hunt, we usually transport our client with his (her) guide from a base camp to a spike camp up in the mountains by helicopter at no charge. After several days (usually 3-4-5) if they didn’t find a trophy – they will be relocated to another spike camp at no additional cost. Only one relocation in included.

19. What type of food should I expect?

Usually it is a Russian cuisine. We provide fresh fruit, vegetables and different beverages at the camp.

20. How do I get to Magadan ? Which city I must arrive to?

Currently the flight Anchorage-Magadan-Anchorage is discountinued. In this situation the only way to come to Magadan is via Moscow or Seoul (South Korea). Our reliable partners in Moscow and in Khabarovsk will meet the hunters in the airport, help to go through Customs and transport them to the domestic airport to fly to Magadan or to the hotel if they need to overnight. On the way back they will help you catch your next flight, stay in a hotel, get your rifles and skins through.

It is a good idea to have some cash with you as long as some services are paid by neither credit card nor traveler's checks. Cash facilitates solving a lot of issues a hunter faces when travelling around the world with a rifle and a trophy.

21. Who would be my guide ?

Our guides are local people. They are professional hunters, in winter they work as trappers. They know well the regulations and requirements of the international hunting .

22. How far from Magadan the hunting territories are? How do you travel from Magadan to the base camps?

Our hunting territories are situated 200-400 miles to the north –east from Magadan in a totally remote and unmanned area. It is 1,5 - 3 hours flight by helicopter (one way). Helicopter is MI-8.

23. Will I be met at Customs?

Yes, we always meet our clients at Customs. Tours begin and finish at the Magadan airport. It means that we will help you in every way while you are in Magadan and partners will help you in Moscow ( you will need to pay additionally for the transfer in Moscow to them).

24. What should I expect at the Russian Customs?

In the plane you will be offered to fill in the declaration. We will send you a sample of the declaration before your hunt so you will know how to fill in it. Please be sure to mention in the declaration all the US funds (cash) you have with you. Also you should put in there all the jewelries (like wedding ring), your rifle and scope ( manufacturers and serial numbers should be mentioned), ammunition, a knife (knives), photo -and video cameras.
Custom officer will check your international passport, visa. Your rifle and scope and ammunition will be checked very thoroughly. All the digits of serial numbers should be correct . While on Customs you can be asked to show the money you have with you, a knife you have and ammunition so please put them close at hand so you can find them easily in your luggage.
Please keep your declaration during your stay in Russia. It is very important!


On the way back to USA you will need to present your old declaration and fill in another new declaration and should put in it all the items you previously brought into Russia (like hunting knives, photo camera etc.) again. Customs officer will check your rifle and scope and ammunition again. You should put in the declaration the exact sum of US funds (cash) that you have with you on the way back. Also you will be asked to write down a trophy skin/skull into a declaration and put the # of veterinarian certificate and/or CITES number.

25. Is a wolf available?

Yes, it is available. As wolf endangers now the population of snow sheep and raindeer, it is possible to shoot wolves without restrictions (free). But the chance to take a wolf is small.

26. Are there any additional game that one can take during the hunt?

On the fall snow sheep hunts brown bear can be an additional game.

27.What is the average success that you have on your hunts?


28. Can I hunt with a bow?

Unfortunately bow hunting is not allowed in Russia.

29. Can I receive a US reference list of KULU Safaris?

Yes, please let us know your mailing address or email and we will send you our US reference list.

30. What is the maximum elevation on a sheep hunt?

Maximum elevations are 6000 feet, but the hunt itself usually takes place on elevations 3000-4500 feet.

31. Can I call to USA from a hunting camp?

Yes, you can – we have satellite phones in the base camp. We will charge you for these calls $3 per minute.

32. Is it possible for non-hunters to come along?

Yes, many of our hunters came with non-hunting companions. We can provide you with their phone numbers so you can find out their impression about it. We charge non-hunters $400 per day in the hunting camps.

33. How much luggage am I allowed to bring free of charge?

Currently the regulations on Russian Airlines are as follows: you are allowed to bring 45-65 pounds -- depending on the company-- free of charge (usually passengers are asked to weigh even a carry-ons, but sometimes not) . Usually your rifle case is weighed too. Sorry , but for each extra kilogram you will be charge additionally- about 10$ a kilo.

34. What documents will I get from you for my trip to Russia?

We will send you:
" an official letter of invitation for obtaining a Russian visa;
" confirmation for tourist visa.